Monday, October 25, 2010

This is a "clay cookie." Some people eat them as food.

Angel Aloma, executive director of Food For The Poor, gave this one to me this morning.

In some of the poorer areas of Haiti, they make these out of clay, oil and salt and then bake them in the sun. To me, it tastes like play-doh with sand in it.

There's no telling what effect they have on your body but I find it hard to believe that eating plates could be healthy. This, at least, keeps them from feeling hungry.

Aloma also showed me a bottle of water that is "typical" of what people are drinking down there. The bits of stuff in the cloudy water looked to me like feces, which is likely, and explains the cholera outbreak. 

Don't take your lunch for granted today.

Posted via email from Stephen Feller

No comments:

Post a Comment