Monday, August 17, 2009

New Weezer Single

I really really really want to hate the new Weezer single, "(If You Are Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To."

The problem, of course, is that the song makes me want to jump up and dance around like a drunken fool. I think I could handle a whole album of shitty ripped off pop songs just like this one. I think I could like an album like that a lot.

First, accept that it's a bad pop song. It's catchy and upbeat. After you consciously decide not to skip it on a playlist the first few times you hear "I Want You To," it becomes clear that this is exactly what Rivers Cuomo has been trying to do. Since the Green Album, everything has been patchy. This, hard as it is to believe, is good.

Despite the fact that it sounds an awful lot like Green Day's "Castaway" - I'm sure others will reveal themselves in the coming days, and I will update this as I find them - but it's still a good song. I can handle theft in rock & roll. It's the mediocrity that would kill it for me.

UPDATE: The album is going to be called Raditude. I may have to rethink my entire opinion of this now.

Weezer - "(If You Are Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To" (via tsururadio)

Green Day - "Castaway"

Castaway (Album Version) - Green Day

No comments:

Post a Comment