Saturday, July 11, 2009

Spotify is nearly perfect.

Spotify is the greatest thing ever. Give me 50 downloads a month, and a phone app that does the same thing as the desktop one - including a sync of my playlists - and I'll give you $25 a month for the rest of my life. Give me 100 downloads and I'll give you $50.

They need to offer downloads because I need to have something that doesn't require an Internet connection, otherwise I'm just renting music I could own for free anyway. They are not the reason I'm willing to pay though. That has everything to do with the desktop and phone applications, which sync, and offer a nearly perfect library of, um, everything.

There's no Zeppelin, no Beatles, no Floyd, no Pussy Galore. In a lot of cases there aren't entire albums, so you get a selection of tracks for most of an artist's albums, which can be weirdly disappointing. But for the most part, it comes up with everything you throw at it. All kinds of music, and virtually every artist, right there. This may not be a necessity for everyone on the planet. But it could be.

As far as I'm concerned, this is essential right this second. I am no longer limited by how much I can carry. No more gigs - just search and it plays. Utopia.

I am sold. Do you hear me RIAA? WHERE DO I SEND MY CREDIT CARD NUMBER?!?

And I bet I'm not the only one.

No comments:

Post a Comment