Monday, September 21, 2009

Great name. Greater band.

I think the newly discovered band that most has me excited for the week is Bipolar Bear. Of course, I got depressed a few minutes later. But it didn't last long...

Alright, bad bipolar joke out of the way, this is some scuzzy punk rock shit and hot damn am I in love. From the first note, this is when I go "yeah! I should quit my job and bang on pots and pans for money!" Then I come to my senses and realize I am nowhere near as good as these guys.

I was gonna save a few words for the mix-zip-tape tomorrow but have been downloading stuff and this just has me all fired up and ready to go. (I was watching the Obama interview series earlier too. What, you think punk rock don't mix with politics?)

Be aware - this is messy punk. There are no melodies. There are vocals, but I have no idea what they're saying. Bipolar Bear makes me hold my ears in awe and I want to shake uncontrollably to whatever it is they're playing. With 30 seconds left in "Calypso Vacation" I started punching holes in the wall, in rhythm with my nodding head and tapping toe.

You may scoff at me or think I'm being ironic for declaring such support for Bipolar Bear. That's fine, but if you ever loved Pussy Galore or Bikini Kill, you know where I'm coming from on this one.

Their latest album, Harlem Pripyat, is out now on Mexican Summer.

Bipolar Bear on MySpace
Bipolar Bear on Hype Machine

No comments:

Post a Comment